Did you know that Michelle Obama was once told that she was not Princeton material?
Luckily for Michelle, she had the support of her family and the self-awareness to recognize that her counsellor’s advice did not have to define her. Not only was the future first lady accepted at Princeton, but she also went on to continue at Harvard Law School.
Michelle’s story shows us that who we become is a product of the people around us, our upbringing, and the help bestowed upon us along the way. In most cases, people find their lives lacking in one area or the other. A career coach can step in and bridge these gaps that are critical in helping us craft the careers of our dreams.
Career coaching combines two distinct tracks: coaching and counseling, with the goal of supporting people in making informed decisions about their career development and trajectory. It is an interactive process of exploring work-related issues – leading to effective action – in which the coach acts as both a catalyst and a facilitator of individual, and in turn, organizational development and transformation.
Your coach will not only create concrete steps for you to act upon to achieve your career objectives, at the same time, your coach will also help you overcome any behavioral, emotional, or psychological issues that could be impeding your desired career ambitions. By utilizing this two-prong approach, your coach can help you gain career confidence, insight, encouragement and inspiration.
With the help of assessment tools such as personality tests, interest inventories, accomplishment exercises, job-description analyses – your career coach can help you identify niche areas and pinpoint the type of work and workplaces that are the best fit for you.
Career coaching can benefit you in many ways –
- A Personalized career plan is uniquely yours. Your coach helps you build it by identifying your aptitudes, traits, likes, and dislikes to guide you towards the ideal career. It is a powerful tool that can drive you towards professional success; having one will enable you to take proactive steps that can enrich your career journey.
- By Identifying Critical skills required for professional growth in your field, your coach can help position you for greater success in your chosen profession. A career coach has extensive knowledge of the job market and trends of the economy; their professional opinion can be vital for your next big step.
- Your Professional Brand communicates your reputation and value to employers. A strong professional brand in today’s age means a strong and positive online presence on platforms such as LinkedIn and Facebook. Your coach with their insider understanding of what organizations are looking for and can help you curate an appealing brand accordingly.
- Your value proposition is the unique background and experience that you bring to an organization. For your prospective employer to take you seriously, you must effectively communicate your value. Your coach can help you identify and articulate what would make you a good hire and what makes you stand out from your competition.
- Navigate difficult career decisions with the help of your coach to take advantage of your coach’s vast experience in tackling difficulties faced by hundreds of clients in varied fields. A coach can help you build a strong case for a promotion, prepare for performance reviews, practice salary negotiation strategies.
An increasingly complex myriad of career options and lack of job satisfaction has made career coaching a sine qua non for any individual looking for professional growth. Whether you are beginning your professional career, or looking for guidance in your chosen profession, a career coach’s extensive knowledge of diverse careers and professional opportunities can make the most impact on your professional journey today.