What is the difference between a coach and a therapist?
A life coach is an experienced professional with counselling abilities that involve a procedure for changing the behaviour through encouragement towards the accomplishment of Â goals and fulfilment while enhancing the well-being of the individual. Therapy, on the other hand, is a healing process of mental health concerns, emotional stability, and general life improvements through a remedial procedure involving a therapist and the client.
The Misconceptions About Life Coaching Online:
The misconception about the two concepts as being same spans from the goals of enhancing the general well-being of their clients. But a closer look at them makes it glaring the differences between them which include:
- Qualifications:For the therapists to practice in the field, they must obtain licences from the state they wish to practice in, in addition to their professional qualifications in Masters/Doctorates degrees. A life coach, on the other hand, does not require any degree rather a non-mandatory certification such as those offered by the international coaching federation. This is enough to practice in the provision of coaching services with no state regulations.
- Line of action:While coaching tells you what to do and how to go about improving your goals, the therapist does not tell you but will get involved in the healing process by working with you. As well as providing the needed support. Also empowering you to build the skills to live a better existence and good decision-making.
- Clients:While a coach deals with healthy, functioning individuals seeking a better future through a process of self-discovery. A therapist deals with individuals with mental health problems, seeking recovery from substance abuse, traumatic/grieving experience, relationship issues, etc.
The Differences Explained:
- Specialization:While a therapist may focus on a particular topic of a healing process, coaching is open to every aspect of the clientâ€™s life; career, love, etc.
- Fees charged:A life coach charges on a programming package; the therapist charge on a session basis.
- Goal setting:Clients come to coaching to achieve a particular individual life goal such as weight loss, career advancement, etc. And expect to see results within the agreed period by identifying and eliminating the obstacles to reach the goals. Therapists deal with mental well-being which requires them to look into the past, identify the root of the problem and proffer solutions to the issues at hand without necessarily setting a goal.
- Mode of operation:While the therapist working within the local authority is licensed and according to the schedules for sessions in minutes and weekly basis, the coach can offer his services anywhere and by any means to clients as their activities are not regulated by the local government. That is why we are offering ourÂ coaching online.
- Stigmatization:Individuals seeking help from a therapist are looked at with disdain and seen as having a mental illness. Clients of coaches attract no stigma attached to them or the services they seek
While the coach focuses on the present and future advancement of clients, the therapist looks at the past to solve the existing problem of clients.
Find out what it feels like working with aÂ life coach online.