How do you get over losing a pet?Â
Losing a much-loved companion Â is devastating, and the grief can be too. Having a pet is just the same as adding a new member to your family. It is as important as any human relationship. When you experience this loss it is the same as a death in the family and so you need time to process your grief.
- Getting aÂ newÂ pet when it feels right will really help, just make sure you donâ€™t get a pet that looks anything like the last one or you will feel like you are replacing your old pet, and we all know that this is impossible.
- Get your pet from the RSPCA or shelter then you wonâ€™t feel like you are replacing but helping an animal that needs you.
- Spend time remembering your pet but donâ€™t spend too much time dwelling on its passingÂ as this will beÂ unhealthy for you.
- Have a good cry, crying will stop you falling into the trap of bottling up your emotions. Itâ€™s natural to suffer a loss and you mustnâ€™t fight the unhappiness. Everything takes a natural time to heal. Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.
- Get your pet cremated to remember its life andÂ to keep it close by if you so wish.
- Go and buy a book to help you get through the grieving process.
Some More Suggestions…
- Count yourÂ blessings and take time to reflect on all the good things you have still in your life.
- Keep busy. If you are able to keep busy and occupied throughout the day it will take your mind off things and this will definitely speed up the grieving process.
- Donâ€™t throw away your animalâ€™s belongings until you are strong enough, there areÂ no rules on how to move on.
- Replace negative unhelpful thoughts with good ones. Perhaps imagine your pet being received up in heaven, and know that you will join it again one day, if you are not a religious person then just think on the good life you gave it and how content you made it.
- Try not to dwell in your grief. You canâ€™t help the fact that you are sad but you can make sure that that you donâ€™t let this grief and sadness take you over completely.
How can life coaching help with the loss ?
Life coaching can give you to the tools to speed up your recovery from your grief. Life coaching can help in a practical way to cope with the less of your beloved companion whilst still leading a fulfilling life. Talking to someone about the loss you have experienced is an excellent way to cope with your grief in a healthy manner.